Hello from the Young Cattlemen’s Council! Since being elected at YCC AGM held at the Canadian Beef Industry Conference in August, we have been working hard to prepare to take YCC to the next level.
First a quick introduction, our council consists of nine members:
- Brett McRae, YCC President, MB Rep
- Jason Reid, YCC Vice President, ON Rep
- Erika Strande, B.C. Rep
- Kolton Kauser, AB Rep
- Shane Klepak, SK Rep
- Julian Colette, Maritimes Rep
- Laura Bodell, Member at Large
- Emily Ritchie, Member at Large
- Ryan Scorgie, Member at Large
We are also very grateful to have Jill Harvie as our staff connection to CCA.
The 2016 YCC AGM was very well attended. We opened our AGM with a presentation from Mitch Smyth from New Holland. New Holland is our Platinum Sponsor. Past President Jake Meyer provided some background on the development of YCC and some of the milestones that the council has accomplished. From there we had committee reports both from our YCC committees and the CCA committees that our council members sit on. For our elections, we elected two new member at large positions (Ryan and Emily) from a list of 8 applicants. We were very happy with not only the number of applicants, but the calibre as well. I, Brett McRae was elected President, and Jason Reid was elected vice President. Both by acclimation. While ballots were counted we had presentations from Dr. Mary Buhr from the Livestock and Forage Centre of Excellence (sponsor of the YCC AGM) and Virgil Lowe, Co-Chair of CBIC. To Finish off our Meeting We had Marty Seymour of FCC give a great presentation about networking at events such as CBIC. If you ever have a chance to see Marty speak, I would highly recommend it! At the end of the meeting, everyone gathered outside by the New Holland equipment for a group picture. Again I would like to thank New Holland and the Livestock and Forage Centre of Excellence for being our sponsors.
Work that has been done since our AGM includes:
- Our council members chosen to sit on CCA committees (Ex-Officio)
- Animal Health & Care – Emily Ritchie
- Domestic Ag & Regulations – Laura Bodell
- Environment – Kolton Kauser
- Executive – Brett McRae
- Foreign Trade – Ryan Scorgie
- Value Creation & Competitiveness – Shane Klepak
If you have questions about these areas of the beef industry, or would like to know more about the work that the CCA committees do, any of these YCC reps would be happy to talk to you!
We have also set goals for 2016/2017 which include:
- Build stronger relationships with provincial organizations
- Introduce a membership benefit and/or referral program
- Increase sponsorship from companies related to the beef industry
- Finalize terms of reference
Last but defiantly not least, Laura Bodell has done a fantastic job totally re-designing our website. Check it out at: http://youngcattlemenscouncil.com/
Till next time,
President, Young Cattlemen’s Council